Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Hmm, so what the hell do I know anyways!

Ok, with the first round now done it’s time to reflect back on my wise prognostications, as to which fine organizations would be moving on towards a shot at Lord Stanley’s Cup.

To recap these were my fearless forecasts.

OTTAWA OVER TAMPA IN FIVE
MONTREAL OVER CAROLINA IN SEVEN
BUFFALO OVER PHILADELPHIA IN SIX
DEVILS OVER THE RANGERS IN SEVEN

RED WINGS OVER OILERS IN SIX
CALGARY OVER THE DUCKS IN SIX
SAN JOSE BEATS THE PREDATORS IN SIX
DALLAS WOULD BEAT THE AVS IN FIVE


Hmm, 1, 2, 3, 4 right. A .500 average, not the kind of skill that gets you a job working the sports boards in Vegas.

If it wasn’t for the Sharks I would have been shut out completely in the West, so go Sharks Go! But come on now hands up, who expected Dallas to fall apart as they did? Sure you say you knew it all along now, but I dunno I didn’t hear too many folks calling for fans in Denver to save some bucks for a second round!

I was overly optimistic about the Rangers, predicting a seven game series when in reality they were lucky the damn thing wasn’t called after three games.

Detroit once again disappoints hockey fans everywhere, best in the regular season, and first out in the playoffs. Might make a nice position statement on the walls of Joe Louis arena.

And Calgary just didn’t have the grit when it counted, losing a game seven match up that had all the stars aligned for them to rise to the occasion and provide Alberta with some hockey magic in May. While the Ducks had played well down the stretch I really thought the Flames were going to be the team to beat in the West. Apparently my faith was a tad misguided.

My final match up will require a bit of fine tuning now, the Sens are still alive though a major battle looms with their neighbours from Northern New York State starting Friday. In the West my pick of Calgary heading to the Finals is gone; I’ll regroup and re-think the options.

Like any good forecaster, when a few unexpected storms pop up you have to change the long range plans. We’ll get busy and report back shortly.

No comments: